Associate Research & Development
Company: Bimbo Bakeries
Posted on: August 4, 2022
Job Description Have you ever enjoyed Arnold, Brownberry or
Oroweat bread? A Thomas' English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps
snacked on a Sara Lee, Entenmann's or Marinela cake or donut? If
the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest
baking company with operations in 33 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA
(BBU) employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales
centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our
consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at
every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the
chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers
the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and
personal lives every day.
#LI-SO1 The Research and Development Associate conducts Research
and product development activities throughout BBU for all BBU
manufactured products and all co-manufactured, co-developed
products. Brings key skills and knowledge in new product
ideas/concepts and troubleshooting. Able to initiate product and
/or processing concepts from idea to final production start-up.
Spearhead new technology development and its application into all
baked good areas. Develop and implement productivity projects.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to the
- Design and execute experimentation using established
procedures, interpreting and translating results into excellent
product designs of technological solutions.
- Prepare samples to be evaluated by the different stakeholders
(R&D Direction, Marketing, Sales, and others) as required.
- Coordinate the technical development or reformulation of bakery
items, evaluation of new ingredients or troubleshooting of existing
- Contribute to key product improvements, cost reductions, new
products development, knowledge building or other technically
based, business driven objectives.
- Utilize the different information systems available to upload
the new formulas, ingredient information or specifications and
keeps Corporate formulas updated as required.
- Describe/demonstrate research results or experimental protocols
to colleagues in a professional manner.
- Carry out those programs so laid out by designated supervisors
under authority of the Director of Product Development, within the
parameters of time and cost, etc.
- To work both in a "hands-on" environment and /or direct as
needed, converting the ideas and concepts defined in project
briefs, into a product reality.
- Utilizing services available - Analytical laboratory, costing,
packaging, Technical Services, Marketing, Engineering, etc. -
ensure that the developments are followed through the proper
channels, obtaining the information required for their final
approval and launch.
- Advise and guide other R&D team members and other
departments throughout BBU, as requested, on scientific and
- Prepare specifications and process operating guides for the
different product developments, ensuring the proper documentation
flow and approvals.
- To write reports/memos from time to time on current status of
- Interface with Operations and Technical Service personnel in
all facilities to effectively and efficiently implement product
development objectives to completion.
- Deal effectively and professionally with outside ingredient
suppliers to meet R&D objectives (keeping Purchasing
- To maintain a daily log outlining project status and activities
in such detail that others may continue the test.
- To lead in special technical projects concerning products,
processes, new ingredients, equipment, and facility concepts and
- Where approved, travel to any BBU technical facilities or
plants and co-packers to independently and effectively accomplish
R&D objectives and interface professionally with
representatives of the same. Job Requirements Requirements
- Strong commitment to and support of BBU's values, ethics,
goals, and objectives.
- B.S. degree in Food Sciences, Cereal Science, or in Chemical,
or Food/Agricultural/Biological Sciences.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Research and Development of
foods, preferably in the bakery industry. Formulating and/or
troubleshooting experience is desired.
- Knowledge of the baking process and the function of
- Proven excellent work record with demonstrated high levels of
initiative and self-direction.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and critical-thinking
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize
multiple activities simultaneously.
- Computer skills and proficiency with word processing,
spreadsheet, database and other software/applications.
- Willing to travel as required. Desirable qualifications for
- Prefer 2 plus years of Bakery/R&D/Quality technical
knowledge in Manufacturing/Operations.
- M.S. in Food Science or related field or significant experience
and training beyond B.S. degree in the science of baking and a
strong mechanical aptitude. Equivalent work experience in the
bakery industry and specific experience within an R&D/Quality
environment, developing or troubleshooting products may be
- Completion of the AIB Residence course preferred.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control, statistical design of
experiments, and data collection and analysis. Physical Demands:
The physical and mental demands described here are representative
of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform
the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may
be requested to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
Be a part of a company that is dedicated to protecting our planet:
- All of our U.S. operations have been powered with 100%
renewable electric energy since July 2019, with energy created
through a Wind Farm backed by a Virtual Power Purchase Agreement
- Bimbo Bakeries USA was named EPA ENERGY STAR Partner of the
Year for the fourth year in a row for superior leadership,
innovation and commitment to environmental protection through
- We have 18 ENERGY STAR Certified facilities
- Our Manufacturing operations divert greater than 95% of waste
- Over 1500 of our vehicles utilize alternative fuel - propane,
compressed natural gas, electric, or hybrid
- Bimbo Bakeries USA has committed to 100% sustainable packaging
across its portfolio by 2025. All product bags, pouches and
wrappers are currently recyclable through Terracycle. The physical
and mental demands described here are representative of those that
must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential
functions of this job.Reasonable accommodations may be requestedto
enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions. Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with
a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants
and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability,
gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity,
marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other
classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects
of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion,
compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training
and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal
employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed
affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified
individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled
veterans and other protected veterans.
Keywords: Bimbo Bakeries, Greenwich , Associate Research & Development, Other , Greenwich, Connecticut
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!